Have you noticed a red or swollen gums problem with your mouth? Your gums may be trying to tell you something.
Signs of oral disease and infectionYou should keep alert and check your gums regularly between dentist visits.
Here are some signs to watch for:
- Puffiness or swelling
- Shrinking of the gums
Other health issues your gums may tell you aboutThere are some other health issues that your gums may be able to alert your dentist to during a checkup.
Some of these issues are:
- Diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease, stroke, or heart attack
- Autoimmune diseases such as celiac, lupus, RA, or others
- Sleep apnea which can cause a clenching and grinding in your sleep to open airways so you can breathe
- Pregnancy as morning sickness can be rough on your teeth and poor gum and teeth health can lead to premature births
- Eating disorders or other dietary issues
- Possible kidney issues
- HPV, HIV, or AIDS
- Osteoporosis can lead to tooth loss
- Anemia (lack of iron and red blood cells)
What you can do help your gumsMost dentists including Toronto dental office suggest that you eat a healthy and balanced diet, drink plenty of water, and exercise to help keep your mouth and gums healthy.
DENTAL SERVICES TAILORED FOR THE BUSY PROFESSIONAL. BOOK NOW!