A person’s initial impression is usually based on their physical appearance and rarely on personality. That’s because your eyes see first before you even get to talk. In social cases, some need to gain a positive impression. That’s why patients pay a fortune for instant teeth whitening to make sure their smiles are perfect during occasions.
Meanwhile, bright smiles are also deal makers. In the world of business or careers, clean, white teeth make someone appear intelligent, knowledgable, and trustworthy.
There’s no doubt why teeth whitening is one of the most in-demand among cosmetic dental services. The process is simple and lasts for only a couple of minutes. How does this treatment work?
Instant teeth whitening
Teeth whitening is a process of making your natural teeth brighter by applying bleaching products on the teeth surface. An in-office method is done by a professional or a dentist at his dental office. This option is not only practical but also safe and results in an instant.
If you have the time to do it yourself, your dentist can guide you through an at-home teeth whitening method. This system provides you with a custom dental tray that you will wear every day for a few hours. The effects of this method are not as instant as it is done in a dentist’s office. Most likely, the results may not be as desired as well.
Some patients also opt for do-it-yourself techniques in whitening their teeth. However, the safest way to do this is to buy teeth whitening kits and products over-the-counter with your dentist’s recommendation. There are teeth whitening toothpaste, strips, and mouthwash that can improve your teeth’s shade.
Types of teeth stains
Teeth whitening indeed is a quick way to fix your dental discolouration. However, there are different types of teeth stains, and each needs another kind of remedy. Check which type of teeth stain you have and find out if teeth whitening is your answer.
White spots on teeth
- Dental fluorosis – one typical case of white teeth spots is dental fluorosis, resulting from too much fluoride in the body. It is usually present in kids as this affects developing teeth. Nevertheless, it may still occur in adults. Teeth whitening could only be done to blend in the spots’ colour, but the process couldn’t remove the stain.
- Carious lesion – white spots on your teeth are also a sign of cavity formation or decalcification. Your dentist will help you gradually bring back the lost calcium in your teeth during its early stage through remineralization. Bleaching might make the condition worse than treat it as the chemical thins down the enamel more.
Black stains on teeth
- Sign of tooth decay – if your teeth are turning black, it’s probably decaying. The best way to treat it is to remove the infection and protect it with a dental filling. After that, you may still choose to brighten your teeth.
- Dark pigmentation from food – most meals consist of food with intense colour, including coffee, tea, wine, soy sauce, and tomato sauce. Patients who regularly eat with these in their diet eventually get dark stains on their teeth. Teeth whitening is beneficial for extrinsic stains and quickly brightens them.
Brown spots on teeth
- Tobacco stains – one of the apparent effects of tobacco use is teeth stain. Although nicotine in tobacco is colourless, it turns yellow when it mixes with oxygen. As it can be helped, the colour latches on to the teeth. As the patient uses tobacco more, the brown spots linger and become darker. With constant teeth whitening treatment, these stains will eventually break down and leave you with brighter teeth.
- Tetracycline stains – tetracycline teeth are the result of a patient being exposed to the use of antibiotics. This may affect babies inside a mother’s womb taking the medication or the patient taking the drug themselves. This is a type of intrinsic stain, which means that the discolouration is building up inside the tooth. Teeth whitening alone can’t remove the colour altogether, only to some degree.
It’s safe to say that teeth whitening is an effective way to fix your teeth discolouration. With the constant innovation in technology, humankind is not too far from achieving the perfect smile possible. Today, you can only achieve the best possible outcome your dentist can offer. You should consult your Toronto dentist on how to remedy your teeth imperfections. If teeth whitening isn’t your answer, you can choose from other options. You may try other cosmetic dentistry methods such as a tooth crown, dental bonding, dental veneers, and dental implants.
DENTAL SERVICES TAILORED FOR THE BUSY PROFESSIONAL. BOOK NOW!