Patients may hesitate to visit their dentist twice a year due to anxiety or because of the dental cleaning cost. They think that brushing and flossing at home alone are enough, however, that does not guarantee healthy teeth and gums. Dental professional cleaning is still necessary to remove deep-seated plaque and tartar. Plaque is a sticky film that builds up on your teeth and contains bacteria while tartar is a calcified hard deposit that also builds up on teeth. Unremoved plaque and tartar could lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Oral prophylaxis should be done at least twice every year but this may vary from one patient to another. A dental hygienist or a dentist who practices general dentistry in Toronto performs dental cleaning to patients.
The Dental Cleaning ProcessHere are the steps of a professional teeth cleaning. This is to give you an idea on what are the inclusions of the dental cleaning cost.
- First, the dentist takes a digital X-ray of your mouth to check your oral health condition. He uses the image to explain to you about the condition of your teeth and gums. The high quality image allows the dentist to identify any sign of gum inflammation and oral problems you may have.
- Second, the dentist removes tartar deposits using traditional tools or laser. The Your dentist needs to scrape off hardened tartar from your teeth and gum line to prevent tooth decay.
- Third, the dentist uses a gritty toothpaste and an electric toothbrush to scrub and clean your teeth. Now, there are dentists who use laser dentistry in Toronto in their practice, for an improved dental cleaning experience.
- Next, the dentist flosses your teeth and removes remaining plaque and toothpaste. Then, you rinse your mouth with an oral antiseptic and a liquid fluoride.
- Finally, the dentist applies fluoride treatment to your teeth. This will ensure that your teeth will be protected from cavities for a couple of months.